Dominican Republic, Evangelical ChurchContact: Bishop Alejandro FigueroaOther Apdo. Postal 727, Calle Rosa Duarte 41A Santo Domingo Republica DominicanapostalWork Phone: 809 682 4945workWork Fax: 809 689 4088workfaxWork Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgINTERNET
In the 1800s and early 1900s British missionaries gave distinguished service in the Dominican Republic, although there was a period of legal restriction on non-Roman Catholic worship.
American Methodists came to the Dominican Republic in 1885, when a Dominican layman visiting Puerto Rico was converted. He returned home, witnessed to his neighbors, and a Methodist church was born. In 1920 Methodists, United Brethren, Presbyterians, and Moravians united to form the Board of Christian Work which has been called the oldest piece of cooperative denominational work in the world. They have an excellent bookstore, daily vacation Bible schools in the summer, nationwide evangelistic campaigns each year, and medical clinics which serve hundreds of persons weekly.
The Dominican Evangelical Church is self-governing with its own charter, constitution and doctrinal statement. Membership is reported to be growing rapidly.