Share our vision
Founded in 1881, the World Methodist Council is the modern-day face of Wesleyan/Methodist theology around the world. It encompasses 80 member churches on six continents, all branches of a single family tree planted by John and Charles Wesley. These churches include such familiar names as The African Methodist Episcopal Church, the Uniting Church, the Wesleyan Church, the United Methodist Church and many more. And, although the names are different, a common vision of spreading the Gospel and making disciples of Christ for the transformation of the world is shared.
Core Ministries of the World Methodist Council
- Hosting the World Methodist Conference, held every five years to provide a voice for the concerns of the Methodist/Wesleyan family, to foster Christian unity, review progress of international ecumenical initiatives and provide support, accountability and a common witness to advance the cause of Christ.
- Hosting the International Christian Youth Conference to foster spiritual growth and formation, providing opportunities to establish lifelong friendships with Christians from other cultures and providing effective evangelism training.
- Working for Christian unity through international dialogue with other Christian World Communions.
- Maintaining an active relationship with the larger ecumenical community through the Ecumenical Center in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Sponsoring ongoing educational programs including the Oxford Institute for Methodist Theological Studies.
- Sponsoring the World Methodist Peace Award, given to those who make exceptional contributions to peace, justice and reconciliation.
- Joining international efforts to respect human rights, uphold justice and support those who are being persecuted and marginalized or suffering the injustices of war and tyranny.
Spreading the Gospel:
- Training evangelists to preach the “good news” of Jesus Christ within their native countries.
- Providing training to strengthen family life in various world cultures.
- Encouraging Methodist publishing worldwide, and encouraging electronic communication among member churches.
Preserving Our Heritage:
- Maintaining, along with the British Methodist Church, the Old Epworth Rectory, Epworth, England, the boyhood home of John and Charles Wesley.
- Maintaining the World Methodist Council, Waynesville, North Carolina, USA, WMC headquarters.
SHARING The Vision Campaign
If every member of the World Methodist Council’s member churches gave 50 cents it would reach the goal of establishing a $20 million endowment to provide a permanent source of funding for global ministries. The goal is achievable, and you can help:
- Write a check payable to the World Methodist Council endowment.
- Make an annual pledge to the endowment over a multi-year period.
- Make a gift of appreciated securities or real estate.
- Give through a charitable gift annuity.
- Give through your estate, via a trust agreement or a bequest in your will.
- Make a gift in honor or in memory of a friend or loved one.
- Make a gift online.
Help keep the vision and mission strong. Help maintain and spread the common faith throughout the world. For more information on how you can help, please contact:
World Methodist Council
256 North Main Street
Waynesville, NC 28786